February 8, 2024
Kidney Cancer in India: All You Need to Know
Almost 180,000 deaths are reported due to Kidney Cancer every year. Kidney Cancer is the 13th most widespread cancer around the world. Early detection can avoid fatality and keep you in a healthy shape. Men are more prone to Kidney Cancer than women. Normally in India, Kidney Cancer is reported as “1 in 442” in males, whereas in females, it is “1 in 620”.
Robotic surgery is a viable option for the treatment of kidney cancer. It has become increasingly popular for managing kidney cancer, providing several advantages over traditional open surgery. In this blog, we will discuss kidney cancer, its symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment.
Who Should Be Aware
Kidney Cancer in India is most common in adults, particularly in men aged 50-70.
- Smoking – Cigarette Smokers are 25-50% more likely to get affected by Kidney Cancer than Non-Smokers. Chances are also high if you are a tobacco user.
- Obesity increases the risk of Kidney Cancer.
- If your family has a history of Kidney Cancer, there’s a slight probability of getting diagnosed with Kidney Cancer.
- Hypertension – People with high blood pressure have an increased risk of getting diagnosed with Kidney Cancer.
- Genetic Changers may arise as a threat to Kidney Cancer.
- An abnormal VHL gene may increase the risk of Kidney Cancer.
- Long-term kidney dialysis increases the risk of Kidney Cancer.
- People exposed to chemicals such as Asbestos and Cadmium have a higher risk of getting diagnosed with Kidney Cancer.
- People having Polycystic Kidney disease have an increased prospect of Kidney Cancer.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Blood in Urine: Urinal blood is one of the common signs of Kidney Cancer. Seek medical attention if you see blood in the urine.
- A lump in the side/lower back: Sometimes, a lump in the back may be a sign of Kidney Cancer. If you see a lump, don’t panic and get to a hospital.
- Back/Side Pain: If you have prolonged back pain or side pain, it may be a sign of Kidney Cancer.
- Sudden loss of weight without making an effort: Sudden weight loss could be a sign of Kidney Cancer.
- High Blood Pressure, Fever without unknown cause: Sometimes an unknown fever and high blood pressure could be a symptom of Kidney Cancer.
- Chronic Fatigue: Long-term fatigue may also be a sign of Kidney Cancer, so take relevant measures.
- An ultrasound scan of the Kidney
- Computerized Tomography (CT Scan)
- Radical Nephrectomy: An automated robot is used to remove a kidney, along with surrounding tissues and lymph nodes, during a robotic radical nephrectomy. In most cases, this procedure is used to treat kidney cancer or other conditions that affect the kidneys.
- Partial Nephrectomy: During a robotic partial nephrectomy, a portion of the kidney that is affected by tumors or other abnormal growths is removed. A robotic system is used to remove the affected tissue while preserving as much healthy kidney tissue as possible.
Benefits of Robotic Surgery for Kidney Cancer
- Quicker Recovery: Patients often experience a faster recovery compared to traditional open surgery.
- Reduced Pain: Smaller incisions typically result in less postoperative pain.
- Minimal Scarring: The smaller incisions contribute to cosmetically favorable outcomes with minimal scarring.
- Shorter Hospital Stay: Patients may have a shorter hospital stay compared to open surgery.
Immunotherapy: Immunotherapy/Biotherapy uses the patient’s immune system to fight cancer.
Targeted Therapy: Drugs are added to spot and attack specific cancer cells without affecting normal cells. Anti-angiogenic agents prevent blood vessels from forming into a tumor resulting in the tumor growing.
Here are some tips on how to stay away from Kidney Cancer:
- Try to follow a healthy diet.
- Maintain an average weight for your age. Avoid being overweight, mixing up a proper diet and exercise would reduce the risk.
- Turn down smoking to avoid cancer risks.
- Keep your blood pressure under control.
The earlier the diagnosis, the lesser the chance of fatality. A dedicated team of passionate urologists leads the way in providing expert care at Cochin Urology, where patients receive comprehensive and innovative treatment strategies. Patients can benefit from quality care and personalised treatment plans by seeking medical attention promptly and availing the expertise of the dedicated team at Cochin Urology.